Live Better in 2013!
Friendly Wheels, Issue 59
A guide of resources and inspiration to help you live better in 2013
New Year’s resolutions are probably starting to sound cliché — but what if your real resolution was just to live better in 2013?
There are so many small changes that can truly enhance your life, no matter what your improvement goal may be.
The most important part of keeping a New Year’s resolution or living better in 2013 is to have the right resources. We have compiled a list of our favorite resources and inspiring stories that will help you live better in 2013, whether you are committing to an official resolution or not!
If you would like to give back to your community and those in need in 2013, here are a few great organizations we love to support:
- Voice of Warriors (VOW) – an organization that supports veterans and their families
- St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital – send your used holiday cards to St. Jude’s, and they will recycle them into crafts for sick children and cards that are sold to benefit research programs
- United Way – Enter your zip code in the upper right corner of the United Way website to find your local organization, and all funds you donate will benefit programs in your community
- Accessible Summer Travel with Amigo owner Dan Rashal
- Streamlining Accessible Travel with accessible equipment rentals
- On the Road in an accessible RV
- Sailing with Shelley on a hassle-free cruise
People are often uneager to exercise, but adding even small stretches or low impact exercises to your routine can go a long way to improve your health. Always consult your doctor before beginning an exercise regimen, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Contact your local YMCA to see if they offer accessible equipment or training services
- Accessible yoga poses can increase flexibility and core strength while reducing stress and anxiety
- Water aerobics are a great way to strengthen muscles while easing pain associated with some chronic illnesses or disabilities
When trying something new or making a big change, it is natural to hit a point where you feel you want to give up. Finding inspiration from others who have struggled and overcome challenges will help motivate you to keep pushing. Here are a few of our favorite stories:
- Amigo owner Ron Bachman overcame childhood bullying to become a motivational “rock star” and speaker
- Kyle Maynard, who was born without arms and legs, adopted a “no excuses” attitude early on to help him achieve his goals
- The Paralympic athletes of the 2012 games all faced different challenges during training, but pushed through to become “superhuman”
The first step to living better in 2013 is to believe that you can – as Amigo owner and motivational speaker Ron Bachman says, “Change your attitude, change your life.”