10 Tips for Selecting the Right Mobility Aid
Friendly Wheels, Issue 21
Are you looking to buy a mobility aid for yourself or a loved one in the future? There has been an abundance of Medicare fraud over the past few years. Therefore, it is important for people to research a company and its products before making the best mobility selection to suit their needs.
The Web site stopmedicarefraud.gov by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Justice has tips for working with a reputable and trustworthy company. The site recommends to “Be suspicious of anyone who offers you free medical equipment or services and then requests your Medicare number.”
While there are many people working to fix this fraud, YOU can make a difference by doing research before purchasing a mobility aid.
Here are questions to keep in mind when shopping for a power operated vehicle (POV)/scooter:
- Do you have a choice in the product you want? While the company is an expert on their products and will offer their recommendations on what is best for you, ultimately it is your decision. You should not feel pressured into selecting one type of product or another.
- Does it have a 360-degree swivel seat for easier transfer and sitting at tables?
- Is there a power seat lift available? Many POV/scooter owners say this is their favorite and most useful feature.
- How will you transport the POV/scooter? Can you put it in the trunk of your vehicle, or is a specially- equipped van with a ramp necessary?
- What is the company’s reputation? Are they industry-recognized for their long-standing history and high quality products?
- Be sure to test-drive the product in your home before purchasing. Does it fit through your doorways, is it easy to maneuver, do you feel comfortable driving it?
- Is inventory readily available or does it have to be ordered through the dealer? If so, what kind of turn around time does it take to get parts to service your POV/scooter?
- Can you adjust the product to fit you? Are you able to move the handle closer or farther away, can arm rests be added or removed, can leg rests or other customized accessories be added?
- What type of service support is available? Try calling the manufacturer or your local dealer to see if they have LIVE service help, or if you are put through a series of automated questions.
- Is it safe? Can the speed be programmed to go slower, are the forward and reverse levers enclosed to prevent accidental bumping, does the seat lock in any position you require?
If you have any questions about Amigo products, or would like assistance in finding the right mobility aid for you, please contact Amigo at (989) 777-0910.